Saturday, June 29, 2013

A Ramble on Human Nature

The minions and I were visiting some new friends the other day when one of the kids began to cry.  Turns out that particular child has issues with taking turns which, let's face it, taking turns stinks.  After it was all said and done I made the remark that The Scientist has issues with not winning competitions, hell hath no fury like that girl not getting first!

I was randomly thinking on this later on and it reminded me of my reaction to Romans 11 and how it all boils down to, well, jealousy.

Let me explain:  in the book of Romans Paul is writing to the church in Rome (obviously) and in the particular chapter I reacted emotionally to, he is explaining where Israel fits in the whole salvation through Christ thing.  To paraphrase 11:17-32, Paul is saying that the tree of Abraham is holy and it's branches are the Israelites.  Since the Israelites rejected Jesus, their branches were cut away and the 'wild' branches of the Gentiles were grafted in.  Paul then writes that the Gentiles should not be proud of this because it will only last until the full number of Gentiles are saved and then the Israelite branches will be put back in.  He then goes on to write that Israel's heart is hard and this benefits us Gentiles, but that Israel is the one God loves because he chose their ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Ouch, that kind of hurt a little...

Now Paul does go on to write about God's mercy being given to us and we know that "for God so loved the world he gave His one and only Son"  but when I first read Romans 11 my feelings were hurt a little, and yes, I believe God's Word should evoke more than warm fuzzy feelings.  There was a little 'that's not fair' going through my head.

Now I don't really have a point to all this other than to say, we are all human and we all have a sin nature.  As much as adults like to think we are superior to children, we are not, we're just better at hiding.

I leave you with this:  "Oh, how great are God's riches and wisdom and knowledge!  How impossible it is for us to understand His decisions and His ways!"  Romans 11:33.

ps.  I haven't decided what song I'm going to post for Sunday but I would like to make it a regular thing :)



No comments:

Post a Comment