Saturday, June 15, 2013

Complicated

So Stuart, the Scientist, love bug, and I were rollin' in our caddy with the top down listnin' to the preacher man on the radio when a thought struck me: 

we Christians make things way to complicated. 

I'm not sure who we were listening to but he was talking about the difference between the Holy Spirit being within a believer or upon a believer, I didn't know there was a difference!  I mean really, are we so hung up on our own intellect that we debate about whether the Holy Spirit is upon us or within us?!  Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't we be more concerned with saving the lost and living a life that is pleasing to God and is a testimony to others?  In 2Corinthians Paul writes "Our letters have been straightforward, and there is nothing written between the lines and nothing you can't understand." 1:13.  So why do we make it so complicated! 

Jesus taught us that He is "the way, the truth, and the life" no more, no less.  I am of the opinion that when we argue amongst ourselves about such trivial things we demean Christ.  We who are supposed to be the light of the world dim that light with confusion and if our light is dim how are the lost supposed to find their way?

I suppose it is human nature to insist on our own way thinking.  We are all right in our own eyes, but aren't there more important things?  1Corinthians 13 tells us that love does not insist on it's own way and several times we are told that the second greatest commandment is to love others as ourselves.  These are the ways we reach unbelievers but yet if we are too busy debating semantics how are doing that?

Let our faith be pure and undefiled.  Let us agree that Christ is Lord, son of our Father in Heaven, rose from the dead.  Anything else, let us agree to disagree and quit picking at each other.  I knew many people when I was younger that were so disgusted with the Christian faith because of the hypocrisy of professing faith in Jesus and His teachings but refusing to live in the way He taught us, instead living according to law which is exactly what Jesus warned us against.

Perhaps I'm looking to deeply into it.  Perhaps my thought process is too jumbled to make sense but I do know this:  "Through Christ Jesus, God has blessed the Gentiles with the same blessing he promised to Abraham, so that we who are believers might receive the promised Holy Spirit through faith."  Galatians 3:14  That is what is important.

(we actually drive an Xterra and we were in the parking lot where dh's work is but that doesn't sound as cool )

No comments:

Post a Comment