Saturday, August 13, 2016

In the book of Habakkuk, the prophet asks God many of the same questions we ask Him.  Why?  "Why do You make me see iniquity?  Why are You silent?  Why do You look with favor on those who deal treacherously?  I cry out to You, Violence!  Yet You do not save."  (chapter 1).  Why Lord?  Habakkuk demands an answer of God during a time of rampant immorality in the nation of Judah.  And in the second and third chapters, God answers.

My 3-year-old wanted to help take the picture :)
He reveals a small part of His redemptive plan for His people and isn't that the way with God?  Through all the heartache and hard times, God is still there.  God will deliver us; He will deliver you.  I not only know because the Bible tells me so, but because I have been blessed through trials and tribulations to sit here and tell you that His Word is true.

There was a time in my life when I was pregnant and alone, throwing up in the back of a moving Greyhound bus.  I even left that little baby with neighbors I barely knew so I could go buy some pot.  I don't think you get much lower than that. I didn't know then how God could possible still love, still want to be my God.  But God, God redeems.

Beloved, it is okay to ask God why, it's okay to rail and shake your fist.  It's even okay to make bad choices because of the unbearable hurt you feel inside; the hurt that makes you empty.  Just come back to God.  Take your questions to God.  Beloved, allow yourself to be hurt, allow yourself to be depressed but take it to God; He will see you through.  He has a redemptive plan for you, for your family.  He will deliver you.  We all know Jeremiah 29:11, but what about the verses after that?  They tell us to call upon Him, to pray, to search for Him.

"'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.  Then you will call upon Me and come pray to Me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.  'I will be found by you,' declares the Lord, 'and I will restore your fortunes and will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you.' declares the Lord, 'and I will bring you back to the place from where I sent you into exile.'"  Jeremiah 29:11-14 NASB

God will deliver you, even when there is no end in sight.  Rest in Him beloved.  Take your questions to Him.  Take your anger and your sadness to the One strong enough to handle it.  Let Him love you.  Habakkuk ends the book that he began by questioning God and His goodness, by praising Him:

"Yet I will exult in the Lord, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation, The Lord God is my strength, and He has made my feet like hinds' feet, and makes me walk on my high places."  
Habakkuk 3:18-19 NASB 

No comments:

Post a Comment